Thursday, March 29, 2007

Thursday Morning Miscellany

First, American Idol. So far I have not called a perfect "bottom three," though I did get two out of three this week. However, I'm three-for-three in that each week one of my bottom three actually goes home. Next week's theme: Tony Bennett songs. I actually even like Tony Bennett, but seriously, I have yet to see LaKisha or Melinda do a song that was recorded in the last twenty years. I'd like them to get on that.

Also, what I think may be a fun link: http://tmastc.blogspot.com/2007/03/one-shining-moment.html.

It's all of the "One Shining Moment" montages (which they play each year following the men's NCAA basketball championship game) from the last ten years. I haven't had a chance to actually watch them, yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Pat and I watched The Illusionist last night. Once again, I was sucked in to a movie by the cast: Edward Norton and Paul Giamatti (okay, Jessica Biel is also in it, so I guess that should've been a giant red flag). And, once again, the movie fell flat. It wasn't bad (unlike Man of the Year and American Dreamz). I'd even give it three out of five stars on Netflix. But, it also wasn't great. And, I honestly don't even have much to say about it. The accents were horrendous and I figured out the plot twist all on my own. Also, I really liked the story idea, but thought it wasn't executed as well as it could've been. This movie falls short of its potential. But don't we all?

Finally, an article from The Boston Globe about superstitious baseball players: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/03/29/quirk_of_fortune/.

Being mildly superstitious myself, I enjoyed it.

Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So I watched The Illusionist last week for the first time. I have to say, you're critique is fair. I'm usually way easy to amuse, and I was definitely paying close attention, but even I figured out the ending and how they pulled it off. I don't know if you know this about me, but I'm very gullible. Thus movies like this tend to dupe me. I enjoyed it, but will probably never watch it again. Now The Prestige (which came out around the same time and also involves a magician and stellar cast) I found to be excellent :-)