Friday, March 16, 2007

snowed in

I was supposed to be having tapas for dinner and Chelle was supposed to be coming from Maine, but the weather had other plans. But, there will still be hockey tonight, so there's something to look forward to. Hopefully, Chelle will be able to come down tomorrow.

I watched The Black Donnellys and Imagine Me and You this week, but didn't really have anything to say about them (I was pretty neutral about both.), but Grey's was new last night so I finally have some thoughts to share. Incidentally, I think I'm breaking up with The Black Donnellys. The first episode roped me in, but the last two were distinctly meh.



Last night's Grey's was old school, first season Grey's and I loved it, even if I did NOT love the ending. It was mostly light, pretty funny (loved the cafeteria scene), and it showed off some of my favorite relationships: Cristina and Meredith, Meredith and her Dad, and Alex and Izzie. Along this same vein, it revisited the storylines of the first season: the race for the chief position (in the first season Burke and Derek realize Richard has promised chief to both of them) and the relationship between Meredith and her family.

The hospital drama was fairly light, not overly dramatic like bombs in chest cavities or ferry boat accidents. Not to say it wasn't serious, but it just wasn't overdone. Let's face it: people are not watching Grey's for the medical aspect (I think that's much more ER's realm, but I haven't watched it in years and years, so I'm not sure.). I really liked the casting of Shohreh Aghdashloo, even if I was mildly bored by her case. She has a good screen presence.

I'm glad Meredith is trying to form a relationship with her father. Who would've guessed she'd hit it off so well with the stepmom? I feel like I'd really resent her for having "my" family and "my" life that I never got to have. But, good for Mere for being a better person than I am.

It seems to me that Burke and Cristina could really use a break from relationship drama, but I have to admit, I liked the particular wrench they threw into the works this week. Cristina was that girl...hard to believe after the snippy remarks she made to Meredith in the first season about sleeping with Shepherd. Of course, then she just went and hooked up with an attending herself anyway, so that was always sort of hypocritical.

Callie was so right to kick George out, though I can understand the point of the many opinions I've read today that say the whole "insecure, snapping at George all the time, keeping secrets like living in the basement and having rich parents" thing gets old. George was so wrong to end up in bed with a naked Izzie, even if it turns out nothing happened. This just can't end well.

Another way this episode went back to basics: it was about the interns. The original premise of this show was that it would focus on the interns and only on the residents and attendings as they related to the interns. There was Derek's storyline with his friend from New York, but otherwise the focus really was on Meredith, Cristina, Izzie, Alex, and George. Good call. Also, they didn't feel the need to give every character a major storyline this week: we only briefly saw Bailey, Mark, Addison, and the chief. That's the best approach to a large cast, in my opinion, focus on some of the characters one week, some the next (although, again, I don't mind if they just keep focusing on those five, but that's just me...).

Anyway, good Grey's last night. I'm pissy about having to wait two more weeks for another episode. And when the heck is Heroes going to be back?

Read More...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too am losing interest with the Donnelys. Would have made a better 2 hour movie, I think.