Monday, March 12, 2007

I've got a case of the Mondays.

But, not too badly. I'm just really tired today and my "to do" list is really long.

It was a good weekend. Saw some good hockey. And some bad hockey, but we're advancing to the next round, so I choose to focus on the good. I also had my last ice skating class. It was my best one yet, so I'm disappointed it's over. I learned how to do a really neat trick called a "mohawk" and a very basic spin. That made me dizzy, though, so I wasn't a fan.

I also discovered a new favorite movie: Bring it On: All or Nothing.
Yes, you read that correctly. I got it from Netflix Saturday afternoon and mailed it back on my way in this morning and still found time to watch it twice. Pat is in Texas this week chaperoning an Alternative Spring Break trip, so I'm trying to squeeze in as many stupid girly movies as possible and this was the perfect way to start off.



I don't even know where to begin. It was just freakin' hilarious. (And, as many of you know, I have a not-so-secret love of watching good cheerleading. One of the many great things about ESPN2.) Plus, it has Claire from Heroes and the actress who played Claire's fellow cheerleader Jackie. I haven't seen Bring it On Again all the way through because it's just that bad, but I think one place where it failed that BIO: AON succeeded was the formula. BIOA takes place in college. The main conflict is between the cheerleading squad and a group of kids that didn't make the cut. BIO: AON goes back to high school and the conflict is between two cheerleading squads from different economic and social backgrounds. It's kind of a caricature of the original. For example, in the original we had "cheertator" and "cheerocracy." In BIO: AON, everything that can have the word "cheer" inserted, does. The only one I can bring to mind right now is "cheersanity," but there are so many more.

Some other miscellaneous musings about Bring it On: All or Nothing:

  • High school sexuality...Now, I don't mean to suggest that anything that happened in this movie didn't happen in real life at my own high school. But, it seems like movies are more willing to acknowledge teenage sexuality than they used to be. Or, maybe I'm just old enough now that I'm totally grossed out by teenage sexuality, so I'd be more comfortable if it were glossed over a little. :-P
  • Pepperoni Pineapple pizza...I've never known anyone but me to order this particular combo, but Britney (aka Claire) and her boyfriend order it one night. I haven't had this in a long time because as much as I love pepperoni, it's just too greasy on pizza most of the time. I've got a craving now, though.
  • High school English class...Britney's first class (really want to refer to her as Claire...it's hard since they are both cheerleaders) is supposedly English. And yet, there are a lot of dates written on the board and some stuff I didn't feel like pausing on about the Civil Rights movement. There was also a poster of Abe Lincoln. While all these things are certainly relevant in the realm of literature, it just seemed more like a history or social science class. Perhaps I should've taken the time to pause and investigate more closely what was on the board to verify this. Also, I think that it would've been a better tactic to have them reading King Lear or Hamlet, both of which I had to suffer through as a senior, to show that even though these kids are separated by class and race, there are some things we all have in common. Okay, that's enough deep reflection on a clearly mindless movie...

Anyway, definitely rent this if you liked the original. It's a nice Sunday morning movie--no thinking, no mental effort, just laughing. Good stuff.



Read More...

No comments: