Monday, March 26, 2007

Join hands and hearts and voices...

Went to Matty D's concert last night (and by Matty D's, I mean the Charles River Wind Ensemble's). I've never seen a wind ensemble do an encore before, but it was pretty much the highlight of my weekend because they played the Kellerman's anthem from Dirty Dancing. Less than twenty-four hours later, I've already forgotten the real title of the song. C'est la vie.

Saw two movies this weekend: Man of the Year and The Crying Game.

Man of the Year was not good. Much like American Dreamz, it was a case of good cast, bad plot (both starring actresses from Mystic River, incidentally). The cast included Robin Williams, who is admittedly hit or miss, but it also had Christoper Walken, Laura Linney, Jeff Goldblum, and Lewis Black. For what it's worth, the political humor was pretty funny. Unfortunately, it wasn't funny enough to compensate for the painfully weak plot.

I don't really have much to say about The Crying Game. It was apparently nominated for six Oscars and even won one (best original screenplay) and perhaps if I'd seen it when it came out in 1992, I would've been a bit more impressed (Well, if I were 25 in 1992. Probably if I'd seen it as a ten-year-old, I'd mostly have been traumatized.). Sadly, 15 years later, I'd already learned what is referred to on imdb.com as "the big twist." It's hard to say much without giving it away, but I think the subject matter has a lower shock-value today than it did fifteen years ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The title is "March Intercollegiate", written by Charles Ives at the tender age of 17 (ie. before he went batshit crazy in the musical sense).

Charles River Wind Ensemble (*cough*shameless plug*cough*)

It's sad for me when artists whose solo work I enjoy so much (Lewis Black, whose angry rants are so very much up my alley) end up in ensemble pieces that fail to impress. Oh well... I guess nobody can be great all the time.