Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Nostalgia

I don't know that this can really be considered nostalgia since I haven't actually left Boston, yet, but I've been thinking a bit about the things I will really miss about this city. Keep in mind I am specifically talking about the city, not about my life here. As in, of course I'll miss intramural sports and my season tickets to hockey and Grey's nights, but my sentimentality about that stuff is much more connected to the people I'm with than the events themselves.

In the last couple of weeks the only times I've been really sentimental about the city itself have been when I've been walking. So, I guess that's what I'll miss most about Boston: the walking. I've taken all of my favorite walks in the last week and every time I think, "wow, this is so great, what a beautiful day, I'm really going to miss this city." Then, I think about what those walks are like in the middle of February and I feel a lot better. ;)

I suppose since I mentioned that I specifically have favorite walks, I should share them.


  • The Esplanade. Actually, I really like the drive along Storrow and Memorial Drives, too, so I suppose this one isn't specifically a walk. The view is just so beautiful, especially headed toward the city. On a sunny spring day, with the trees in bloom and the sailboats on the river, you almost forget you're in a city, but then there it is: the skyline. And it's totally breathtaking. The drive is pretty great at night, too. I love the view of the towers at Marsh Plaza all lit up.
  • The lower end of Comm. Ave. I like to walk down Comm. Ave. toward downtown on my lunch breaks. Often times I'll go up Mass. Ave. to either Newbury or Boylston. Whenever I go to the Hunt for a show, I walk that way, too. Unlike the Esplanade, where you can forget you're in a city, I love this walk specifically because I feel right in the thick of things (especially on Boylston).
  • From my apartment to Coolidge Corner. This is my absolute favorite and I usually do it at least once a week during the summer. I like to go down Allston to Kelton, which turns into Winchester, so I get a nice walk through a residential part of Brookline, and then back down Harvard with stops at all my favorites: Paper Source, Bowl & Board, Booksmith, Kupel's, Anna's. Oh man, Anna's. Now I want a quesadilla.

Read More...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If there's one thing I truly miss about living in Brookline, it was having Anna's right around the corner. Lucky Wah, too. (Yeah, not exactly high quality, but pretty good when you've got a late-night craving...)