Tuesday, April 24, 2007

American Idol

So the judges pointed out twice tonight that the contestants picked songs that were difficult because the original version by the original artist was so iconic (I'm paraphrasing, particularly in the case of Fantasia, who isn't exactly iconic, but you see what I'm getting at.): Once with Blake doing Imagine by John Lennon and again with LaKisha doing some Fantasia song I have never heard.

And yet, they thought Phil had one of his best nights ever.

Clearly, they are not country music fans because he didn't do the song nearly as well as Garth Brooks. Phil sounded good, but Brooks did that song so well and so movingly and in a side by side comparison it just wouldn't have stacked up at all.

And again, he did sing it well, but just not as good as the original, which was apparently an issue with Blake and Lakisha, who I also thought were good (especially LaKisha, who I'm finally warming up to).

I don't even like country music that much, but I'm disappointed in the judges ignorance of the genre.

No comments: