Friday, February 27, 2009

I can't wait to hear Melissa Marr speak at TLA.

Wicked Lovely Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

rating: 5 of 5 stars

While I have read several good books recently, this was the first page-turner I've read in a while. Every time I had to stop reading Wicked Lovely and return to the real world, I was frustrated by the interruption.

Whenever I like a book this much, I kind of just have a visceral reaction to it and it's hard for me to put my finger on what it was that I liked in order to write about it.

First of all, and somewhat surprisingly to me, I really enjoyed the setting. I had always been a little hesitant about urban fantasy, but there's something kind of great about reading about magic happening in a world you can actually relate to, not some distant world of princesses and knights and corsets and bows and arrows. It just makes the world seem like a place of possibilities.

I also enjoyed the characters, especially, I admit, the sexy, tattoed and pierced love interest. Marr takes a very pragmatic approach in describing relationships and sexuality, which I enjoy. The realism, set against the fantastical elements in the story, contributes even further to the whole "world of possibilities" effect. Marr's basically saying, "yep, this is the same world you live in, where people get tattoos, have sex, sometimes with people they don't care about, go to clubs, maybe drink or do more, etc. And it's magical."

I most enjoyed that there were a couple of times that this book could really have been trite, but instead Marr took the road less traveled. There could have been a love triangle complete with lots o' drama, but there wasn't. Seth could have doubted Ash's ability to see fairies, leading to a major falling out between them and a redemptive story arc in which his failure to believe her leads to near tragedy averted just in the nick of time when he finds evidence and swoops in to save her. But, he didn't. He believed her and they moved on with the plot.

3 comments:

hoolia goolia said...

Yay!

I know I said this before but I am SO EXCITED that you loved it!!!

And I completely agree: it did a great job of avoiding cliche and keeping both the fantasy and the romance grounded in reality. But! Good urban fantasy should do that--it's just the crappy/lazy ones that don't ;)

Anonymous said...

My interest is piqued; I went to Barnes & Noble today and picked up a copy of this. It's next up on my book queue after I'm done with this volume of Lovecraft (I'm nearly there!).

Becca said...

And today I acquired the sequel, Ink Exchange, at Half-Price Books! Yay book buying! I can't wait to hear what you think.