Monday, July 9, 2007

Very Brief Reviews

So, I started this post right after I got back from a trip to Maine for my mother's 50th birthday, which was June 16. Actually, I even finished everything you'll read below that week, but also included in the post was my assessment of Schindler's List, which I finally finished reading, and that was really what was causing the hold up. So, I'll do that another time, and in the meantime, here are some brief movie reviews:


My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Okay, so I've actually seen this one before, but I was totally stoked (wow, 1993 called. They want their vocab back.) that it was playing on my bus ride to Maine last weekend. Otherwise, the ride wasn't that great - the bus wasn't air conditioned, there were no pockets on the backs of the seats for my stuff, and the bus was jam-packed - so a good movie was really a treat. Seriously, I love this movie in a way that I rarely love cheesy romantic comedies. I laugh when Ian gets beat up by the old lady, I choke up a little when Toula's parents give them a house at their wedding, the whole nine yards. This movie knows how to push all my sappy buttons. I have one complaint though: My Big Fat Greek Wedding is guilty of perpetuating the pop culture stereotype that to transform from "frump girl" to Greek goddess, a woman has to ditch the glasses. Because beautiful girls are also blessed with perfect eyesight, or should at least appear to be.

Children of Men

Finally, I watched a movie I hadn't already seen! That's the first time in months.

Okay, I started to write my thoughts on this one and they were not "very brief" as promised in the title, so I'll save it for another post.

You Got Served

Another movie I had never seen... and I probably would have been better off if I had left it that way. I really wanted to see the dancing because a lot of it was choreographed by judges/dancers/choreographers featured on So You Think You Can Dance, which is my current guilty pleasure (though I don't like it as much as Dancing with the Stars). The dancing was pretty awesome, but I'm just not sure it was worth it. The movie was even worse than I expected and I had set the bar pretty low. There were a couple of times I actually told Pat to pause because I just needed a break and some time to consider whether or not I really wanted to lose an hour and a half of my life to watching the acting skills of former B2K members. My recommendation: DVR it on TV. That way, you don't have to pay to rent it, but you can still fast forward to the dance routines.

Read more...

No comments: