Monday, July 9, 2007

More than Meets the Eye

This weekend, I had pretty much the best 24 hours ever, which began with me seeing Transformers with Jenn and Greg on Saturday night. Although, before I go off on a total squee-fest, let me just lodge the complaint that our previews totally blew right now. Except for the preview of Shark Week, which was of course, awesome. PS I'm going to use the word "awesome" somewhere between two and three hundred times in this post, so get used to it now. Summary of the Shark Week preview: "Sharks aren't angry; they're hungry."



So, Transformers...Transformers was exactly what I want in a movie: entertainment. No, I didn't have any particularly deep thoughts or feelings while watching (In fact, I'm pretty sure I had no thoughts, deep or otherwise, except for "this is so awesome this is so awesome this is so awesome."). No, the plot was not particularly original. And you know what? I couldn't care less. This may very well be my favorite movie of the last five years. I laughed, I teared up (surprise, surprise), I clapped (sorry, Melissa), I fanned myself, I covered my eyes, I squee'd, and I repeatedly whispered to Jenn, "this is so cool." Seriously, there was not a single moment where I was not entertained.

For someone who enjoys action movies and special effects, it's pretty much two and a half hours of pure joy. And yet, it was surprisingly low on really graphic violence, which I also appreciated, mostly just robot-on-robot action. It's all the thrills without having to actually see someone lose a limb or lie in a twisted heap on the ground or gasp for their last breath. Pretty much it's just really freaking cool GM cars turning into robots and then kicking the crap out of each other. Did I mention it was awesome?

Also, I have no idea where Josh Duhamel's been all my life, but hell-o.

To put into perspective just how much I liked this movie, I said to Pat, "you know how I get really pissed off when movies end in such a way as to leave an opening for a sequel? When Transformers did that I was like, 'holy awesomeness, I can't wait. I hope they make like six sequels. And, I hope the next one comes out tomorrow.'" I am planning to see this movie at least two more times in the theater. I seriously considered walking out of the theater, buying another ticket, and seeing the next showing of it that very night. The only thing that stopped me, I think, was that I had to work at 7:30am yesterday.

Here, check out the imdb.com page for the man who voices Optimus Prime: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0191520/. He did voices in some of my favorite childhood cartoons. Most notably, he was Eeyore! This man is a major icon of my childhood and I didn't even know it.

The 24 hours of awesomeness (and reliving my childhood) ended with seeing the Dancing with the Stars tour last night, but I'm going to post separately on that, so let me just comment quickly on two other movies I saw this weekend with Pat while he was recovering from having his wisdom teeth removed: Music & Lyrics and The Three Musketeers. I'm sure everyone knows how awesome The Three Musketeers is already (and if not, run, do not walk, to your local Blockbuster; it's also free On Demand on Comcast right now). Music & Lyrics was a pretty cute rom-com. Pretty formulaic, but it has Drew Barrymore (who I love love love) and Hugh Grant (who I have developed a fondness for since Love Actually). It's also pretty funny. Definitely a no-brainer, but a nice mindless way to spend an afternoon with someone doped up on Percoset.
There's more to this post than meets the eye...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So I totally agree with everything you said. IT WAS AWESOME!! I want to see it again, so when I come up, if you get the fever just call me :-) Jake Delohme...yum. The only other statement I made during the movie was "Best.Advertising.Ever." I want an '09 Camaro so bad! I found myself in awe every time they transformed bc I had Transformers when I was little and you could clearly tell how the car door (insert any other car part) turned into an arm, but when they transformed on screen it wasn't as obvious. I still tried to watch for it though. Now that I'm rambling I'll let others comment...