Thursday, July 12, 2007

Children of Men

I actually really liked this movie, but Pat thought the ending was unsatisfying (we didn't actually watch it together). Usually I am the one that finds an entire movie ruined by the ending, but while I agree it would be interesting to see what happens next, I think it ends in a good place. Well, good being relative of course. I really wouldn't recommend this movie if you're looking for something light.



In fact, what I want to know more about isn't what happens after the ending, but what happens before the beginning of the movie. There are hints here and there that a lot of the characters, particularly Jasper and his wife, have interesting back stories. I would like to know more about how the world ended up in the state it is in fictional 2027. I would like to know more about what separated Theo and Julian (though I think that may have been revealed in a part that kept skipping). I would like to understand more clearly the missions of the Fishes and of the Human Project.

It's a very thought-provoking movie about what would happen if suddenly the human race was faced with extinction. I guess humans are unique in the respect that we can be aware of our own impending extinction; an endangered species, on the other hand, is probably not conscious of the fact that it's one of very few remaining. But, maybe it is. They find out new things about the minds of other animals (and humans) every day. In P.D. James' vision of the future, awareness of our own impending doom causes utter chaos and mayhem. Why is that, I wonder?

Not only is the world fraught with crime and destruction, but for some reason Great Britain is the only remaining country/government in tact (I'm a little fuzzy on the exact details). I would like some explanation of how they kept it together while every other country's government imploded. So again, while I agree with Pat that I think there's a lot more to this story that could be told (and probably is in the book), I don't think it's at the end.

I really recommend Children of Men. It's good, although definitely dark (I was going to add that it's sad, but it's also hopeful.), and I am okay with how the story is resolved.
Read more...

No comments: