Monday, October 15, 2007

DWTS, Pushing Daisies, and more!

I can't post nearly as often as I'd like to on this (and, yet, I still joined Facebook, like I have time for that), but I just wanted to comment quickly on Dancing with the Stars and Pushing Daisies.

First of all, they keep saying this is the best season of DWTS yet and I can't really make that judgement since this is only the second season I've watched, but I do have to say the competition is pretty impressive. I was planning a post for later tonight in which I was going to say, "Floyd's going home this week. There was a lot of buzz about him pre-season, but he's actually pretty bad. After that, Jennie Garth. But, then it could be anyone." Well, that was before Jennie's paso doble tonight. Now, I'm eating my words. My only other thoughts: love the ongoing Superman thing with Cameron Mathis. And yes, Mark Cuban is still my binky.

Unlike Floyd, Pushing Daisies has totally lived up to its pre-season hype. When I first heard about this show, I thought "this idea is stupid. No way am I watching this show." But the hype kept building and building so I decided to just watch the first episode and figured I'd give it up after that. No. This show is my new obsession. If you haven't seen it, get on that.

It's actually the only new show that's made the cut with me (although I haven't watched Samantha Who? yet; it's on the DVR). I liked Reaper, but I don't have time for too many shows. Dirty Sexy Money was m'eh. So, this season's line-up is looking like:

Monday: DWTS, Heroes, How I Met Your Mother, and possibly Samantha Who?
Tuesday: DWTS
Wednesday: Pushing Daisies
Thursday: My Name is Earl, Scrubs

Speaking of My Name is Earl, if you saw last week's episode, you may have heard a bluegrass-y sounding cover of Gin & Juice by Snoop Dogg. That was The Gourds. When I first heard that song when Megan and I were living together I assumed it was by a bunch of young guys, whatever. Oh no. I actually saw The Gourds live on Saturday (at a great outdoor venue in Austin: Threadgill's) and it's a bunch of middle-aged men. They put on an absolutely excellent show, by the way. I highly recommend checking them out if they're in your area. Or, you could come to Austin. They're from around here so they play pretty often in the area.

Just a quick note on books while I'm posting anyway: I finished the Harry Potter series. Book 7 just might be my favorite, but I do also kind of feel like she cheated on the last few chapters. Like she suddenly realized there were a lot of loose ends and she needed to take care of them asap. There were some explanations that left me feeling dissatisfied. But, I also think I'm maybe being a bit picky and I think the rest of the book makes up for it. Right now I'm reading The Golden Compass and The Other Boleyn Girl. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I <3 The Gourds. Every single time I listen to their cover of "Gin and Juice" I laugh my ass off.