Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I'll have the quesadilla...

I rarely cover one of the pillars of pop culture on this blog: music. But my latest obsession is worth sharing, if for no other reason than some of you may enjoy mocking me.

I have never liked Nickelback. In fact, I'd put them in a category with DMB, Hootie and the Blowfish, Counting Crows and a number of other bands that I give the "big B" to ("B" for "blow(s)"). Really really dislike Nickelback. Always change the station when one of their songs comes on. And then one day, they re-release what is probably their most ridiculous and annoying song.

And I love it.

I listen to it every day and I walk around the house singing it and laughing. Oh yes, boys and girls, I'm talking about Rockstar. I can't even begin to explain what I love about this song, although I'll cite the video and the commentary by Billy Gibbons (of ZZ Top) as two reasons, but it's more than that. I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason I just find this song really amusing and really catchy and it makes me happy when it comes on the radio.

True story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too enjoy that song, and hate Nickelback (and DMB and counting crows... I kinda like Hootie, if only because I like saying "hootie". I never pretended to be normal)

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, that is the only Nickelback song I will listen to.

It's almost funnier if you listen to it on a station that edits out "drugs" and "ass" and everything else possibly offensive. The stations in Chicago do, and I get a perverse amount of pleasure out of singing the "bad" words at the top of my lungs with the windows open.